Socttish Arch at the Penrose-Strawbridge Farm
The Scottish arch is one of the more mysterious structures at the Penrose-Strawbridge Farm. It was part of the northern wall of the barn built in 1839 by William Penrose but is believed to pre-date the barn and probably was constructed during the time of Sir William Keith.
The arch is an almost semi-circular segment arch constructed in a wall of rubble stone. It appears to originally been designed as a doorway but the lower part of the opening was filled in at some time to the depth of about 2 feet. This construction is consistent with the arches built in Scotland during this time.
Governor Keith's purpose for developing his plantation here was to convert grain into spirits and our architectural historian, Herb Levy, suggests that this arch may be a remnant of his attempt at building a distillery.