The Kenderdine Mill, at the intersection of
The mill was built by Joseph Kenderdine who later sold a half interest to his brother Thomas. Following Thomas' death in 1779 the mill continued operation under a younger Joseph Kenderdine until 1796 when it was sold to brother-in-law Joseph Paul139 p34. Paul and his son James operated the mill until 1810 when they sold it to John Shay. Shay enlarged the Joseph Kenderdine house and built a new residence nearer the mill at about this time. He later added a third story to the mill itself and made modern improvements to the millworks. Later in the 1800s it was owned by Amos Ely139 p23 and but in the early 1900s it was the property of the Hagartys who were related to the Kenderdines.,
Richard Kenderdine purchased 250 acres of wilderness for £125 in May 1713 from Samuel Carpenter along Park Creek 3/4 of a mile long by 1/2 mile wide139 p23 bounded by what would become
Richard's brother Joseph built the original grist mill on the property between 1734 and 1736. Access between Fountain Low/Graeme Park was via a trail which would become
Joseph, in 1736, also purchased 151.5 acres on the west side of Horsham Road - according to Smith - to provide a more abundant supply of water to the mill. In 1746 Joseph sold a half-interest in the mill to his brother Thomas and by the time of their deaths, Joseph in 1769 and Thomas in 1779, both had acquired considerable wealth.99 p55-56
After Joseph's death in 1769 per Smith99 p56 on 2d month, 23, 1778 per Kenderdine139 p22), son-in-law Joseph Paul purchased the 36 acres surrounding the mill from the other heirs.
Between 1779 when Thomas Kenderdine died and 1796 the mill was owned by Joseph and Jacob Kenderdine and operated by Joseph. They sold their interest in the mill to Paul in 1796.
Paul's son James helped him work the mill until 1810 when they sold the mill and 48 acres to John Shay, Shay died in 1819 and bequeathed most of the land including the
Smith 99 p55 states that Joseph Kenderdine moved to the Horsham property in 1738 but his place of residence was not known. It may have been where a foundation had been discovered (pre 1943) a few yards south of the 'Alcorn House' but Living Places92 reports that this house was likely built by Richard Kenderdine and pre-dates the construction of the mill. It was added on to in the early 19th century, probably by John Shay.
The following is mostly taken from the National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for the Kenderdine Mill Complex dated 12/10/1991(
- the original fieldstone mill building (third story added in the 19th century) with its attendant raceways
- a mill owner's house dating from the early 19th century when John Shay purchased the property
- stable and carriage house constructed in the middle of the 19th century by the Shays
The mill complex was positioned in a shallow valley where two small waterways could supply a millpond and dam and millrace. These two water sources assured a sufficient head to operate the mill. The site was linked to
Across Keith Valley Road is an earlier, fieldstone house constructed in two phases which began as the original house of the Richard Kenderdine family. It later became the home of Richard's son, Joesph Kenderdine, a millwright and the probable builder of the mill. (This building, the