"
photo handbook from Prospectville Branch Needlework Guild of America
photo handbook from Prospectville Branch Needlework Guild of America
Handbook from Prospectville Branch Needlework Guild of America

Prospectville Needlework Guild

Mr John J Nesbitt III recently donated books from the Prospectville Branch of the Needlework Guild of America to HPHA

Mr. John J Nesbitt III, formerly of Horsham and now residing in Newtown Square, PA, recently donated some memorabilia from the Prospectville Branch of the Needlework Guild of America. Mr. Nesbitt's mother had been a member of the guild.

From NGA-Inc.org:

The Needlework Guild began in England in 1882 following a mining disaster in nearby Wales. Lady Diana Wolverton gathered a group of people together to make clothing (one to wear, one to wash) for the children whose parents had died in the disaster. She “glimpsed the fact that old garments might pauperize, but new garments equalize.”

In 1885 Mrs. Harpence from Philadelphia was impressed with the work that was being done. She shared the concept with her niece, Laura Safford, who in turn told 6 of her friends. They agreed to help her sew for the needy. The first year, they collected 921 articles which were donated to hospitals and orphanages. The Needlework Guild of America was founded in Philadelphia in 1885 and later incorporated in Pennsylvania in 1896.

The National Headquarters for the Needlework Guild of America is now located in Warminster, Pennsylvania.

Thank you to Mr. Nesbitt!




We are a Community Benefit Organization!
Ver 1.0.0.20