The following is taken from The History of Horsham by Craven.
Limekiln Pike and Easton Road are two of the oldest major highways that passed through Horsham Township. These roads served as a link between Philadelphia’s markets and the countryside’s natural products. As traffic on the roads increased so did the, need for better maintenance. Initially the roads were repaired by the people who lived along them. The Turnpike Companies were formed when local businessmen and individuals who owned property on the highways pooled their resources, and took on the responsibility of repairing the roads. A fee or toll was charged at equidistant points along the way denoted by a toll house. A wooden gate was attached to the wall of the house and was extended across the road to block the traffic until the toll was collected. The toll varied from 2 cents to 10 cents, depending upon an assessment of the wear on the road, which increased from that levied on the lone rider on horseback, to one, two, and four horse team carriages, carts, or hay wagons. The gate was lifted after the toll was paid. The toll keeper received free rent and $10 a year for tending the gate.
The Doylestown and Willow Grove Turnpike Company was formed about 1839, maintained the present Easton Road and Hatboro Pike. At the turn of the century, the toll gate at Easton Road and Maple Avenue was operated by the Rutherfords and later, by the Hughes family. Lou Hughes collected the toll at the spot on Easton Road marked by the presence of a large tree in the middle of the road. All vehicles and horses had to make a. sweeping “8” to avoid the tree. It is supposed that few tolls were lost for the trolley ran on the right side of the tree, forcing the people to pass very close to the toll gate on the left. Another toll gate was at Hatboro Pike and Township Line Road. This toll house has also been torn down.
The present course of Limekiln Pike was laid out in 1855, and put under the jurisdiction of the Lewisville and Prospectville Turnpike Company. From 1889 to 1910, George Worth was treasurer of this turnpike company. From 1910 until the turnpike was discontinued in 1918, his son, Frank W. Worth was treasurer. A toll house was located at the corner of Limekiln Pike and Chestnut Lane, and another on Limekiln Pike opposite the end of McKean Road. Both of these toll houses are now used as dwellings.