The village of Hallowell, centered at the intersection of Governors Road and the Doylestown-Willow Grove Turnpike (now Easton Road), is one of 5 villages that grew up in the early days of Horsham Township.
When the Doylestown-Willow Grove Turnpike was made a public highway north of Privet Road in 1839, the village of Davis Grove lost its position as a strategic crossroads. At the same time, the settlement along the turnpike near Justinian K. Hallowell’s hotel became important. This became known as the village of Hallowell. (39)
We recently discovered - as part of our Document Preservation Project - a map titled "Roads to Graeme Park" by Marc? Reynolds Brothers, Doylestown, PA. We date this between 1924 when Harold Pitcairn began Pitcairn Aviation (which is also shown on the map) and the mid 1940s when the Willow Grove Naval Air Station was created here. This map shows the villages of Davis Grove and Hallowell.
Justinian Hallowell - with his brother George - established the Hallowell Hotel in 1880 and the two of them ran the operation until George's death in 1897. He then partnered with his sister Lydia. The hotel was successful and he built up the area with tenant housing and provided stone for the turnpike (probably the Doylestown-Willow Grove turnpike - now Rt 611).
Mr. Hallowell also established a store and a post office called Hallowell.112