Prospectville was formerly called “Cashtown”, three theories have been put forth as possible explanations of this name. Some say that veterans of the Civil War received their pay here, while others think that the storekeeper insisted on cash. Perhaps because a man by the name of Cash lived nearby, the village took his name. By 1871 the settlement was officially designated as Prospectville on county maps. At that time the village consisted of a wheelwright shop, two blacksmith shops, a store and post office, a schoolhouse, and a community hall.(39)
Several interesting landmarks are located in Prospectville: Grindelton, Limekiln Pike Toll House, the original Dorothea Hughes Simmons Elementary School, Whitemarsh Cemetery, and the Prospectville Community Hall.
In June 2014 HPHA received memorabilia from the Prospectville Branch of the Needlework Guild of America from Mr John J Nesbitt III, whose mother was a member of this guild.