@Styles.Render("~/Content/css2") Kenderdine House and Mill
Contact HPHA!

Horsham Preservation & Historical Association

...the Future of Horsham's Past

Kenderdine House and Mill

Kenderdine Mill

The Kenderdine Mill, at the intersection of Keith Valley and Davis Grove Roads in Horsham, is a beautiful example of a 18th century mill. The mill was built in 1834 and remained in operation until the early 1900s. It was later restored by Ronald Mintz and was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1992. The mill and complex are currently a private residence. Registry (#91002011)

photo of the circle at the Kenderdine Mill

The complex includes four contributing buildings and one contributing structure. They are the original fieldstone mill (1734-1735), mill race, early 19th century fieldstone mill owner's house, stable and carriage house (1858), and an early fieldstone house. (95)

The following is mostly taken from the National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for the Kenderdine Mill Complex dated 12/10/1991(92)

The Kenderdine Mill historic complex includes:

  • the original fieldstone mill building (third story added in the 19th century) with its attendant raceways
  • a mill owner's house dating from the early 19th century when John Shay purchased the property
  • stable and carriage house constructed in the middle of the 19th century by the Shays

Across Keith Valley Road is an earlier, fieldstone house constructed in two phases which began as the original house of the Richard Kenderdine family. It later became the home of Richard's son, Joesph Kenderdine, a millwright and the probable builder of the mill. (This building, the Joseph Kenderdine House was razed in 2012.)

photo of front of Kenderdine House

The mill complex was positioned in a shallow valley where two small waterways could supply a millpond and dam and millrace. These two water sources assured a sufficient head to operate the mill. The site was linked to Graeme Park, which was opened in 1736, by a path which later became the Keith Valley Road. A generation later the Davis Grove Road was opened on the south providing a more direct link to the site.

x
pinterest button
Kenderdine Mill Circle
circle in front of the mill and barn at the Kenderdine Mill Complex. Restored Barn/Living Area to the left and Mill itself straight ahead
photo of the circle at the Kenderdine Mill
x
Kenderdine House Front
front of Kenderdine House taken from across Davis Grove Road in Carpenter Park. This 277 year old home was demolished in April 2012 shortly after this photo was taken
photo of front of Kenderdine House
Horsham Preservation and Historical Association
The Future of Horsham's Past
900 Governors Rd | Horsham, PA USA 19044
Email | 215-343-0659
All Pages and Content copyright ©2011-15 by Horsham Preservation and Historical Association