Recent work on the barn includes pouring concrete floors in summer of 2013 and replacing one of the doors in June 2014. .. see below for more
The Equipment Barn is the building, or perhaps the collection of buildings located to the northeast and in the front of the Penrose Strawbridge main house. This was built by Willam and Hannah Penrose in 1848?.
This barn consists of several bays at ground level, with space above the bays on either end accessible by stairs that were probably originally used for living space for farmhands. They are used today for work space by HPPI.
The center section of the barn is one, wide bay featuring 2 sliding wooden doors. There is a roof directly above this section - no living or work space. This section, at one time, was probably used to keeping livestock since there is a manure chute in the back wall.
Connected to the back of this barn, making the bottom part of an 'L' at the eastern end, is a Carriage Shed. We don't know much about this structure. It is presently (late 2013) in poor condition with the roof falling in.
The bays at both ends of the equipment barn had concrete floors added at some earlier date. The center bays had been dirt floors. One of our volunteers - Sam Braccia - poured new concrete floors in the center bays for us in the summer of 2013.
One of the doors on the equipment barn blew down in a spring storm. Volunteer Mike Vogel built us a new one. more