The village of Davis Grove, located within one-half mile of the Bucks County Line at the intersection of Governor Road and Privet Roads, gained prominence early in the history of the Township because of its proximity to
We recently discovered - as part of our Document Preservation Project - a map titled "Roads to Graeme Park" by Marc? Reynolds Brothers, Doylestown, PA. We date this between 1924 when Harold Pitcairn began Pitcairn Aviation (which is also shown on the map) and the mid 1940s when the Willow Grove Naval Air Station was created here. This map shows the villages of Davis Grove and Hallowell.
When the Doylestown-Willow Grove Turnpike was made a public highway north of Privet Road in 1839, the village of Davis Grove lost its position as a strategic crossroads. At the same time, the settlement along the turnpike near Justinian K. Hallowell’s hotel became important. This became known as the village of Hallowell.